Parents who wish to enrol their child or children at St Peter Chanel Catholic School are considered under two criteria;
1. Preference, and
Our Integration Agreement with Government requires that preference of enrolment shall be given only to those children whose parents have established a particular or general connection with the special character of the school. The NZ Catholic Bishops Conference has set the following criteria for granting preference of enrolment for children seeking enrolment in Catholic Integrated Schools;
1. The child has been baptized or is being prepared for baptism in the Catholic Church
2. The child’s parents/guardians have already allowed one or more of his/her siblings to be baptized in the Catholic faith
3. At least one parent/guardian is a Catholic and attendance at the school may lead to the parents having the child baptized
4. With the agreement of the child’s parent/guardian, a significant familial adult such as grandparent, aunt or uncle who is actively involved in the child's upbringing undertakes to support the child’s formation in the faith and practices of the Catholic Church.
5. One or both of the child’s non-Catholic parents/guardians is preparing to become a Catholic
Preferential status means that the family has an established connection (under the criteria of 1-5 above) with the Catholic Church.
In order to qualify for enrolment under this criteria, a Preference Certificate needs to be issued prior to enrolment. A Preference Certificate is issued by a Parish Priest, usually from the Parish where the family worships or from where the child was baptised.
The Preference Certificate forms part of the Enrolment Process and must be retained by the school in the Enrolment records.
St Peter Chanel Catholic School is obliged to accept the enrolments off all children with Preferential status.
Catholic Schools are able to receive only a limited quota of children who cannot establish a connection with the Catholic Church. These children are considered Non-Preferential. Under the terms of the St Peter Chanel Integration Agreement, Non Preferential enrolments can only account for a maximum of 5% of the total roll. There is usually a waiting list of Non-Preferential children who wish to enter the school and this list is managed by the Principal. If you come under the Non-Preference category and wish to find out how long the waiting list is, please feel free to make contact with the school office.
The following documents are required to be produced upon enrolment;
· Birth Certificate
· Baptismal Certificate
· Immunisation Certificate
· Preference Certificate
Children born outside New Zealand have to provide further documentation to support their eligibility to be educated in New Zealand, such as;
· Visa Documentation
Please note that in New Zealand, no child can commence school prior to their 5th birthday.
We strongly encourage families who are considering sending their child to St Peter Chanel Catholic School to visit the school prior to confirming their child’s enrolment. This can be arranged with the school office. You will meet with the Principal and be shown around the school.
1. Contact the school office and organise a Pre-Enrolment Appointment with the Principal.
2. If St Peter Chanel Catholic School is the school you wish to enrol you child or children in, you will need to complete the Enrolment Forms. These forms can be downloaded from our website or collect an Enrolment Pack from the school office when you visit.
3. Deliver the paperwork back to the school office along with the supporting paperwork (see below)